James Smith Theology Gets Sexy!

James Smith Theology Gets Sexy!

As I have written about already, with a new theological lens comes a new political lens. One issue that I assumed was an open and shut case as an evangelical was the issue of gender. Binary categories were biblically clear and science confirmed gender in dna. Done. Case closed (Any pushback must be some sort of cultural marxist take over of society!). The same went with sexuality. A couple proof texts, and “poof!”, it was clear as day that neither identity nor same sex relationships (complete with intimacy) were viable biblically informed views. And don’t get me started on “pro-abortion” advocates. They were clearly philosophically and biblically wrong. As my lens shifted over time from a Calvinist/reformed lens to a lens more informed by 20th century work, I had to reinvestigate these topics and reformulate my opinions and my politics associated with them. Over the next few posts I will share how and why I have changed my mind on several issues related to these categories within my current theological framework. My hope is to create a stimulus for conversation where conservative and progressive Christians can understand each other (I said, understand each other, not agree with each other!) Stay tuned.

Popular Posts